Monday, July 25, 2011

Detail a car part 1



To start with, I used Chopps excellent detailing write up as my basis. IN fact, using his method I got some awesome results.However, my intention was to create a method that would allow for ‘professional” type results without actually having to be a professional.
I will say, right up front, that my method will not give dramatically better results that Chopps method.And, since mine is more expensive and slightly more time consuming, this may not be for everyone.My recommendation would be to use this system if you are attempting to restore paint that has been neglected.If your paint is already pretty good, then this is probably overkill.
Speaking of overkill…I picked up a fair amount of this on Meguiar’s’ website.However, those guys are generally professionals and have an absurd amount of time, money, and experience.I tied to find a system that sort of split the difference between Chopps system and the system a professional might use.
Hardware:
•About 15-20 VERY CLEAN towels.
oEither micro fiber or 100% cotton terry towels.I prefer the micro fiber for some things and the cotton for others.Just use what seems best to you.
•Rotary buffer/polisher. 
o Professionals will tell you that you need to spend $200+ to get a good one.But, since I’m not using it every day, I didn’t see any reason to spend the money.I bought one on eBay for about $50 shipped.I saw one the other day at Harbor Freight for $34.99The primary concern is that it be a standard polisher (not an angle grinder or some other direct drive power tool) and that it be variable speed (preferably the range will include 1000-2500 rpm range).
•10” Orbital/Dual Action buffer
oJust get a cheapy… nothing special needed.Wal-Mart, Pep boys, wherever, you can find these things for about $15
•4-6 10” terry bonnets for orbital buffer
oYou can find these for $5 for a 6 pack at Wal-Mart
•Rotary buffer backing plate and foam pads
oThe backing plate and pads should be bought together since they need to work together.3M, Schlegel, Meguiar’s, and Lake Country all make some nice ones.Availability locally may be an issue, so just get what you can locally.
oBacking plate should be the “hook and loop” (that’s Velcro for those of you who don’t care about patent violations) design that threads on to the 5/8” post of the rotary.The Velcro will allow you to quickly and easily switch from one pad to another. This part will cost you around $20 depending on what/where you get it.
oI am using 4 separate levels of foam pad.You could probably do it with 2, depending on how deep you want to go with the compound/polish.I use a heavy cut, medium cut, polishing, and finishing pad.4 separate levels, 4 separate colors.I spent about $12 per pad…just make sure you get something good.
•Two good sized buckets.
•A hose with variable spray nozzle.
•California Water blade
•A couple of those cheap, old fashioned plastic Ketchup/Mustard/condiment bottles you can buy at the dollar store.Its easier to disperse the compound and polishing liquids out of one of these than the bottle they come in.
•Chamois or synthetic Chamois like the Meguiar’s Water Magnet towels
•A good mechanics stool with wheels (preferably the short kind) will make your life easier while doing the sides.I found mine at Harbor Freight for $12!
•A tire brush.This should be a couple of dollars at the most
•A wheel brush.I would recommend getting something good for this.I bought a Meguiar’s Gold Class brush for $11.If you spent some loot on your wheels, make sure they stay looking nice!
•A shop vac style vacuum.One of those handy little car vacs is fine…just so long as it sucks.
•An extension cord.Something long enough to get to every side of your car comfortably, but not so long that you will spend the entire day tripping over the slack.25’ works nicely in my garage.
I will say right up front that I like the Meguiar’s products.Chopp recommended them, and I am used to using them, so I am inclined to recommend them as well.However, there are other good brands.3M, Mothers, Turtle Wax, and a few others all make some nice products that compare well with the software listed below.As always, choose what you prefer.I didn’t give prices on any of the software.Partly because I don’t remember (I didn’t buy it all at once…I sort picked it up a piece at a time), and partly because I don’t really want to add up how much I have spent.
Software:
•Dawn dishwashing soap.
•Meguiar’s Gold Class Car Shampoo
•Meguiar’s #84 cleaner/polisher/compound for Rotary buffers
•Meguiar’s #2 cleaner polish
•Meguiar’s Gold Class Liquid car wax
•Meguiar’s NXT liquid car wax
•Meguiar’s Deep Crystal #3 Yellow Carnauba Wax
•Meguiar’s Quick Detailer
•Meguiars #7 Professional Show Car Glaze
•Lexol leather cleaner
•Lexol Leather treatment
•Vinylex
•Aerosol Glass cleaner – don’t get the cheap stuff.Get something good!
•Meguiar’s NXT Tire Cleaner
•Meguiar’s Hot Rims All wheel cleaner
•Armor All Detailers Advantage Foaming Tire Treatment
•Rain X
•Simple Green

No comments:

Post a Comment